Kodi is a free media player. Although a popular one, it remains a media player only and an open-source software at that. It runs on almost all types of systems, but it relies on add-ons to stream videos from several media sources on the Internet, including Netflix.
That’s right. You can watch your favorite Netflix shows on Kodi, and that might just give you the ultimate entertainment experience. However, there’s no one-button setup available. Don’t worry; you don’t need to be extremely techie though. You can learn here how to install the Netflix Kodi add-on on different devices.
Can I watch Netflix on Kodi outside the US?
Let’s first get things straight: having a Netflix Kodi add-on will not let you bypass geographic restrictions. For instance, if you’re in Australia, the library you’ll see after setting up the Netflix add-on will still be Netflix Australia.
Due to geo-blocking, Netflix looks at your IP address to determine your physical location then assigns the library that you can access. If you try to access restricted content, what you’ll get is a black screen with an error message, like the picture below:
Most entertainment websites employ this geo-blocking technology so that people can’t access unlicensed content for their region, or content for which another media provider has the license. The only way to get around such geo-restrictions is by using geo-unblocking VPNs, specifically a Kodi or Netflix VPN service. Here are two that we like for Netflix which we approve of for Kodi:
[affilioProvider max=”2″ top=”n” cat=’netflix’]
If you’re outside the US and you want to watch Netflix US on Kodi, connect to a VPN server located in the US. A US-based IP address will then be assigned to you; Netflix will detect this IP address instead of your real one. This method will effectively unblock the geo-restrictions.
Installing Netflix add-on for Kodi 18 for Windows
If you have a device running on Windows OS, these are the instructions on how to install the Netflix add-on on Kodi 18:
- Download the Alelec repository or the Netflix repository.
- Open the Kodi app and go to Add-ons.
- On the upper left side of the window, click on the icon to select Package Installer.
- Click on Install from zip file.
- Upload the Alelec repository you downloaded earlier.
- On the Add-ons menu, click on the Install from Repository option.
- Select the Alelec Kodi Repo or the Netflix Add-on Repo on the Repository screen.
- Go to Video Add-ons, and look for Netflix. Click on Install.
- On the Home screen, click on Video Add-ons then open Netflix.
- Log in with your Netflix username and password. Enjoy Netflix!
These steps should get you started on running the Netflix add-on for Kodi 18 on any Windows devices.
How to choose a Netflix VPN
If you want to access the Netflix library of a different country, you’ll need a great geo-unblocking VPN service, not just any VPN service. When choosing a VPN provider, make sure it has the following features to bypass geographic restrictions effectively:
- Multiple server locations: The VPN provider must have a large network of servers in your preferred location. For example, if you want to access US-exclusive content, you need a VPN that has multiple servers in that country.
- Unlimited bandwidth: The VPN provider must offer unlimited bandwidth so you will have the best streaming experience. Of course, your Internet speed affects the speed of your VPN connection too.
And also no geoblocking on Netflix pic.twitter.com/U5C1ffH0rj
— Ben Mumford (@mumfy27) September 20, 2013
- Apps for all devices: The VPN must have a client for most OS and devices so that you won’t have a problem with compatibility.
By getting a geo-unblocking VPN with these must-have features, you can enjoy a seamless experience watching shows on Netflix.
However, not all VPN providers work with Netflix anymore since the video streaming site has imposed a VPN ban. Therefore, the best way is to choose a VPN provider that has been tested and proven to bypass Netflix’s VPN blocker. We listed five VPN providers that still work with Netflix, so check them out.
Installing Netflix Kodi add-on for Android
For Android devices, follow the steps below to install the Netflix Kodi add-on:
- Download the Kodi app from Google Play Store.
- Download the Alelec repository or Netflix repository.
- Go to the home screen. Select Add-ons.
- Tap on the Package Installer located at the top left part of the screen.
- Select Install from zip file, and upload the Alelec repository file or Netflix add-on file.
- After unzipping the file, go back to the Add-ons screen. Select Install from repository.
- Open the Alelec repository or Netflix add-on repository. Look for Netflix then install.
- Go back to the home screen. Go to Videos > Video add-ons > Netflix. Log in using your Netflix account credentials.
With these steps, you can install and start running the Netflix Kodi add-on on any Android devices.
Installing Kodi on Firestick or FireTV
Amazon’s FireTV and Firestick are both great devices for streaming, but installing Kodi on these products will further open a whole new streaming experience.
After setting up your FireTV or Firestick, prepare for Kodi installation by following these instructions:
- Go to Settings > My Fire TV / Devices. Select Developer Options.
- Enable ADB debugging, USB debugging, and Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Return to the home screen, and search for Downloader using the search box.
- Install the Downloader if you don’t have it yet.
- Open the Downloader. Go to the Favorite tab, and click on the Add option.
- On the pop-up window, type http://fireunleashed.com/as or kodi.tv/download on the Path field and Fire on the Name field. Click on Add.
- Go back to the Favorite tab. Select Fire, and go to Click Here to Install AppStarter option.
- After a successful download, press Select on your remote then navigate to Open File.
- Install AppStarter APK using the standard setup.
- Click on Open once setup is done.
With these steps, your FireTV/Firestick is now ready for Kodi installation. To complete the installation, follow these additional steps:
- Open FireTV, and go to Updates
- Click on the Install option.
With these final steps, you have now installed Kodi on FireTV/Firestick. Check out this video too for a live installation demo:
Installing Netflix Kodi add-on on FireTV and Firestick
Now that Kodi is already installed on your FireTV or Firestick, it’s now time to add the Netflix Kodi add-on. Do the following these steps:
- Run the Kodi app on Fire TV
- Download the Alelec repository then unzip the file.
- Open the Kodi app. Go to System > Settings.
- Go to Add-Ons. Click Install from zip file, and select the Alelec Kodi repo file.
- Return to the Add-ons screen. Click Install from repository.
- Click on the Alelec Kodi repo or Netflix add-on repo. Go to Program Add-Ons.
- Click on the Chrome Launcher, then wait for the “add-on enabled” message.
- From the Add-ons screen, click on Install from repository, select Alelec Kodi repo, and click on Video Add.
- Install the NetfliXMBC or Netflix add-on by double-clicking on the icon.
- Go to Videos > Add-Ons. Click on NetfliXMBC or Netflix to launch Netflix.
As you completed these steps, you can now enjoy Netflix on your FireTV/Firestick device.
Installing Netflix Kodi Raspberry Pi add-on
First, you need to install Kodi on Raspberry Pi. Do the following steps:
- Install the NOOBS (New Out of the Box Software) operating system installation manager on your SD card by going to the Raspberry Pi website.
- Boot the device to the NOOB installation manager.
- Install either one of the following operating systems: LibreElec or OSMC.
- Reboot your device.
That’s how you install Kodi on your Raspberry Pi device. You may also watch this video for an in-depth illustration:
Once Kodi is installed on Raspberry Pi with the above steps, the next step is to install the Netflix Kodi add-on. Follow the same steps in installing the add-on on other systems:
- Download the Alelec repository or the Netflix add-on repo from Github, then unzip the file.
- Open the Kodi app, and go to Add-ons.
- In the upper left side of the window, click on the icon to select Package Installer.
- Click on Install from the zip file.
- Upload the Alelec or Netflix add-on repository you downloaded earlier.
- In the Add-ons menu, click on the Install from Repository option.
- Select the Alelec Kodi repo or Netflix add-on repo on the Repository screen.
- Go to Video Add-ons. Look for NetfliXMBC or Netflix, then click on Install.
- In the Home screen, click on Video Add-ons and open Netflix.
- Log in with your Netflix username and password.
After you’ve done all these steps, you can now use the Kodi add-on to watch Netflix on Raspberry Pi.
Netflix Kodi Add-on Alternatives
Having Netflix on Kodi will indeed bring a different level of entertainment. Just imagine all those Netflix shows you can watch on your favorite media player! With a VPN for Kodi, you can watch anything you want without borders.
However, if you’re looking for alternative sources of entertainment content, consider these options:
- Other Kodi add-ons: Aside from the Netflix add-on, other Kodi add-ons will also help you maximize the Kodi software. Check out the best Kodi add-ons for anime, music, movies, and sports that we compiled for you.
- Free movie websites: If you’re willing to get out of Kodi once in a while, you may want to explore these free movie websites.
Whatever source of entertainment you choose, make sure to subscribe to a VPN service so you can bypass geo restrictions and, most importantly, maintain your online privacy. Here are three we recommend for Kodi:
[affilioProvider max=”3″ top=”n” cat=’kodi’]