SaferVPN was founded by two Israeli IT professionals in 2013, and it now has a large network spanning 37 countries all over the world. The SaferVPN client is easy to understand and use, and the minimal features make it even simpler.
The provider has some of the cheapest service packages available, especially when you sign up for more than one year. Speed test results are also better than others. If you use a VPN mainly for torrenting or P2P, then SaferVPN is a good choice since it has dedicated and optimized servers for P2P traffic. We recommend them for this, and many other uses.
Most of SaferVPN’s features help enhance the security of its users, thus staying true to its name. Here are the features:
- Automatic Wi-Fi security: A VPN connection is automatically enabled when the system detects that you are on an unsecured network. This feature is best for people who are on the go so they will be protected when connecting to public Wi-Fi hotspots without having to think about it.
- Kill switch: This feature disconnects your Internet connection when your VPN connection drops, protecting you from IP leaks. Take note that this is not turned on by default, unlike in other providers’ VPN clients.
- Unlimited bandwidth: All service packages have unlimited bandwidth, including SaferVPN’s 24-hour free trial.
- Multiple VPN protocols: SaferVPN offers the option to switch to different VPN protocols like OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP.
- AES 256-bit encryption: This is the latest encryption standard used by other VPN providers, banks, and governments.
Included in SaferVPN’s encryption is the Perfect Forward Secrecy feature. This allows the provider to rotate encryption keys every 60 minutes and secure communications even more.
Servers & Countries
SaferVPN has more than 400 servers in 37 server locations spread throughout Europe, Asia, America, Middle East, Africa, and Oceania. The provider has servers dedicated to P2P traffic in the Netherlands, Canada, and Spain.
SaferVPN also has two servers in the US and UK that are best for streaming:
Aside from the provider’s over 2,000 IP addresses, users can also connect to an Onion over VPN server which changes your IP address every five minutes.
Reliability & Speed Tests
Since SaferVPN has different types of servers, we included these in our speed test. Here is our speed test result before connecting to any server:
SaferVPN provides an automatic server selection option which connects you to the best server based on your physical location. We used this, and the connection speed slowed down just a bit:
We connected to one of the provider’s P2P servers in Canada. Download speed went down, but upload speed actually went up. A good upload speed was likely designed into it so that P2P users can upload their content to other uses across the network quicker:
SaferVPN’s streaming server yielded this speed test result. Take note of the latency:
We’ve seen other providers perform much worse on our speed test, so there aren’t really any problems here! It also looks like SaferVPN has truly optimized its P2P servers for P2P traffic.
Pricing & Payments
You can try SaferVPN for free without any data and server limitation for 24 hours, which is a great way to test the VPN service. The VPN provider also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee period.
These are the four pricing plans available on SaferVPN:
- One-month: $12.95, billed monthly.
- One-year: $5.49 per month, billed yearly.
- Two-year: $3.29 per month, billed every 24 months.
- Three-year: $2.50 per month, billed every 36 months.
The provider’s one-month plan is more expensive than most of our top ten VPN providers, but the longer-term plans are cheaper. If you’re going to use SaferVPN, we recommend signing up for a two-year plan and then paying close attention to how they perform in those first 30 days for you.
SaferVPN’s customer support comes in three forms:
- Help center: Where you can find all resources related to connectivity, troubleshooting, billing, and account settings. You will also find FAQs and other information about the company here.
- Live Chat: Can handle both general inquiries and technical issues. You need to enter an email address even though you’re not yet a paying customer.
- Tickets: For complicated technical issues. The response time is not indicated. During our test, we first received an automated response in our email, promising that “help is on the way” and that they will respond as fast as they can. We received a helpful response three hours after submitting the ticket, which is pretty good!
SaferVPN claim that their support staff are available 24/7, but it’s best to utilize the resources available within the help center. Your issue might have been addressed there already, so there’s no need to wait for the support staff until after checking there.
Policies & Logging
- The email address used when you sign up.
- Session date and time stamp.
- Amount of data transmitted during the session.
- The location of the server you connected to.
- The country where you are connecting from.
While the email address is something a user volunteers and has control of, the other logged data is automatically collected by the VPN provider. This isn’t personally identifiable data, but we feel that a provider that claims to have a no-logging policy should not be logging this much information.
For instance, the amount of data would have been useful if SaferVPN had a service plan with capped data, but the company doesn’t have such a plan.
Despite the questionable logging of some unnecessary data, it’s important to point out that SaferVPN does not log the IP addresses and browsing activities of its users.
Although we’d like to see less logging, this doesn’t stop us from recommending SaferVPN. It is a good VPN provider that’s suitable for new VPN users who are after torrenting and streaming. We tested the dedicated servers for these two activities, and the results were decent enough. Of course, a lot of factors can affect your connection speed, but it helps that the provider has servers optimized for such activities.
The prices are also attractive. Although signing up for three years to save 81% is a long stretch, SaferVPN’s 30-day refund policy should give you enough time to test the service before you decide to stay for long. We recommend using them if they meet your needs.