If you haven’t tried a
If you’re new to VPNs, they can be intimidating. Perhaps the most intimidating thing is actually going from not having a
Choose the right
VPN before installing
Before you install just any
- Do you download movies through torrents? Then you’ll find this list of the best VPNs for torrenting useful.
- Are you looking for a
VPNwith fast streaming? Then check the best VPNs for streaming.
- Do you want to unblock Netflix in your region? Get around the geo-blocks, and use one of these 5 VPNs for Netflix.
- Do you need an OS/device-specific
VPN? Here are the choices for iOS as well as Android, those for routers, Macs, and Kodi players.
VPN’s website and let’s install that VPN
Once you have made your choice, it’s now time to get the
For illustrational purposes, we’re going to do this using VyprVPN from Golden Frog. While these steps will be specific to Vypr, nearly every
For mobile devices, look for the app in Google Play or App Store. Here is VyprVPN’s app in Google Play:
Choose a subscription plan
- Choose a plan. Pay attention to pricing and features. Often, the longer the subscription period (say, one year), the lower the monthly rate will be (though you’ll have to pay upfront for a whole year). Check if your choice of provider offers money-back or free trial.
- Sign-up for an account.
- Provide payment details.
- Review your final selection and the Terms of Service.
- Verify the transaction. Check for a confirmation email to activate your account.
Once you have finalized your subscription plan with these steps, you’re ready to download the
Download the software version for your OS. Some VPNs will automatically detect your OS; if not, click the correct download link. For this instance, download the Windows desktop version of VyprVPN.
Open the installer file and install the
Your device will download an installation file. You’ll see this file parked in the download tray. Follow these steps to launch this file and then proceed to installation.
- Open the downloaded file.
- A pop-up will ask, “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?” Click “Yes.” The installation will commence. Click “Next.”
- In the license agreement, click “I Agree.”
- Choose the type of installation. For beginners, use the Standard or Default settings. Click “Next.”
- Choose the destination folder. For now, leave this at the default path. Click “Install,” and wait for the installation to be completed.
- A pop-up will ask, “Would you like to install this device software?” Click “Install.”
- The installation will continue. Once it’s completed, click “Next.”
- The installation will be complete as soon as you click “Finish!”
This may look like a guide on how to install VyprVPN, but it is nearly 100% identical to every other
VPN for the first time after installation
The moment you opened the
By default, the fastest server nearest you is usually selected by most providers. If you want to change this server, you can do so within the app itself. Click the location icon, and choose “Show All Server Locations,” or something similar depending on the provider.
A list of server locations will be displayed. Choose the one you prefer. This particular provider, and most others, display a Ping rate for the provider. Think of Ping rate as distance measure in time as closer servers have lower Ping times.
As seen below, the default “fastest server” has been changed to a server in the US.
This server switch will help get around geo-blocks. For instance, by choosing a US server, you should be able to access sites or content that are available only in the US (like shows from the Netflix US library). If you want to access another country’s content, select a
Test if your
VPN is working well
This time, let’s check if your
The result has been verified with IPLeak.
Next, turn the
IPLeak also shows the same result:
Your choice of
VPN must suit your needs
Again, before you attempt to install a